Monday 10 December 2012

Technology Tools Assessment

Below are a few online tools I have used during this semester mostly for our Technology Applications class, and also for my other classes. Using a point scale I created, I assessed how useful the tool is, especially for students like me.

Point Scale 

✰--NOPE, not really
✰-- Eh, it's okay
✰--Awesome Possum




Moodle  Rating:


I first started using Moodle my freshman year here at the University and it's fairly easy to operate. UOG's Moodle is a bit bland for my taste--it lacks color and pictures. Individual instructors' class pages, however, sometimes look a bit better. Turning in and retrieving assignments is very convenient and easy. I also like how it indicates the due date and when assignments were turned in. I would definitely consider using Moodle as a teacher. 


Firefox   Rating: 






Compared to the two web browsers I use which are Safari and Google Chrome, Firefox is okay. They all pretty much have the same features, I just like the look and feel of Safari and Google Chrome a lot better. Sometimes Firefox doesn't operate as well and Safari and Google Chrome prove to be more reliable. 




Google Apps   Rating: 





I LOVE GOOGLE APPS! It is amazingly convenient to store and share documents and to communicate with others. It has been immensely efficient and utilised throughout my entire college career and I definitely would suggest that my future students use it. I mostly use Gmail, Google Docs, and Blogger. All of the apps are easy to use and navigate through and it is always available and FREE! 

LiveBinders   Rating: 



LiveBinders is a good way to compile content area information and resources and share them with students. To me, it does not offer a lot of options to customise the binder, but if the purpose is just to share resources, it does the job. I would use LiveBinders to share with my students and probably have them create binders of their own. 

sliderocket   Rating: 




I liked sliderocket. It's similar to the Microsoft Office PowerPoint program but you do not need to download software to use it. You simply can save the presentation online to be viewed and presented. I love that it's free and the custom options are awesome! It did not take me long to figure out how to use it and I have used it for presentations in class. 

Dropbox   Rating:




Dropbox is awesome because I can retrieve files anywhere that has internet. I use it to back up my files and it has been proven useful and has saved my butt when my laptop was down. Sharing folders is a breeze and sharing documents is also a feature too. My biology professor sends us our files and assignments via Dropbox and I know as a prospective science teacher, I can do the same. The only thing I wish was easier was to get a lot more space without buying it. 

Pinterest Rating: 




Pinterest is awesome! I use it to get ideas for projects and presentations, as well as for recipes. I love how we can "re-pin" ideas onto our board and save it for use later. There are so many ideas shared through Pinterest, and a lot of them are cheap and easy to do. I would suggest that my students use Pinterest as a means for project ideas as well, and it also helps promote re-using household items. 


Prezi   Rating: 



At first, Prezi was a bit hard to use. I had a difficult time trying to figure out how the whole program worked and getting it to how I wanted it was a challenge. However, after using it for awhile, I got used to it and now I use it to create interactive presentations, different from regular slide presentations. I like how it can zoom in and out of areas on the canvas and you can put media and text. After showing my future students how to use Prezi, I would at least have them do one Prezi presentation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment